Feta is a type of cheese that has been around for centuries and is widely used in Mediterranean cuisine. It is made from sheep's milk or a combination of sheep's and goat's milk, and has a tangy and salty taste. Apart from adding flavour to dishes, feta can also offer several health benefits.
One of the main health benefits of feta cheese is that it is an excellent source of calcium. Calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth, and feta cheese is a great way to incorporate this nutrient into your diet. Additionally, feta is also a good source of protein, which is vital for building and repairing tissues in the body.
Here are five healthy feta cheese recipes that you can try:
- Greek quinoa salad with feta: Cook quinoa according to package directions, and add chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
- Feta-stuffed chicken breast: Cut a pocket in each chicken breast and stuff with crumbled feta cheese, chopped spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C until chicken is cooked through.
- Greek yoghurt and feta dip: In a blender, mix feta cheese, 99% fat-free Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil until smooth. Serve with fresh vegetables or pita chips.
- Mediterranean stuffed capsicums: Cut the top off of capsicum, remove seeds, and fill with a mix of cooked quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, and crumbled feta cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180°C until capsicums are tender.
- Feta and beetroot salad: Cook beetroots and slice them into wedges. Mix them with crumbled feta cheese, chopped lettuce, and nuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.
These are just a few ideas to get you started - there are countless other tasty and healthy ways to incorporate feta cheese into your meals - check out a few more recipes below.