Vanilla-basil meringue nests with strawberries
SmartPoints® value per serving
5 hr 25 min
These light and crispy meringues are bursting with the fresh flavor of spring basil. The basil not only provides texture and crunch, but a beautiful burst of color as well. This recipe will get you feeling crafty, as you'll be whipping out your ruler and pencil. Tracing out the circles on parchment beforehand is the best way to ensure the meringue "nests" are the same size, bake evenly, and are big enough to hold the filling. We call for filling them with lots of fresh strawberries, but any fresh berry you have on hand would work as well. A drizzle of balsamic glaze adds the perfect touch of sweetness.
4 large, at room temperature
1 Tbsp, minced (plus extra leaves for garnish)
4 cup(s), raw, hulled, quartered
Store-bought balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw eight 3 3/4-inch circles on parchment paper in pencil, leaving some space between each. Flip paper over; place it on baking sheet with circles facing down.
- In a mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water, stir together (by hand) egg whites, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot, 2 minutes; remove from heat (egg whites will be foamy).
- Using the whisk attachment on an electric mixer, beat egg white mixture on high until it is cool and stiff peaks form, 8 to 10 minutes; stir in vanilla and basil. Evenly divide meringue among 8 circles, using back of a spoon to create 3/4-inch-high mounds with slight depressions in center.
- Bake meringues for 2 1/2 hours; turn off oven and let meringues sit in oven to cool and dry, about 2 hours more.
- Fill each meringue with 1/2 c strawberries; drizzle each with 1/2 Tbsp balsamic glaze (garnish with basil, if desired).
- Serving size: 1 pavlova, 1/2 c strawberries, 1/2 Tbsp glaze