Vanilla-Basil Meringue Nests With Strawberries
- Total Time
These light and crispy meringues are bursting with the fresh flavor of spring basil. A drizzle of balsamic glaze adds the perfect touch of sweetness.
egg white(s)4 large, at room temperature
table salt1 pinch
vanilla extract½ tsp
basil1 Tbsp, minced (plus extra leaves for garnish)
strawberries4 cup(s), raw, hulled, quartered
Store-bought balsamic glaze¼ cup(s)
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw eight 3 3/4-inch circles on parchment paper in pencil, leaving some space between each. Flip paper over; place it on baking sheet with circles facing down.
- In a mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water, stir together (by hand) egg whites, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot, 2 minutes; remove from heat (egg whites will be foamy).
- Using the whisk attachment on an electric mixer, beat egg white mixture on high until it is cool and stiff peaks form, 8 to 10 minutes; stir in vanilla and basil. Evenly divide meringue among 8 circles, using back of a spoon to create 3/4-inch-high mounds with slight depressions in center.
- Bake meringues for 2 1/2 hours; turn off oven and let meringues sit in oven to cool and dry, about 2 hours more.
- Fill each meringue with 1/2 c strawberries; drizzle each with 1/2 Tbsp balsamic glaze (garnish with basil, if desired).
- Serving size: 1 pavlova, 1/2 c strawberries, 1/2 Tbsp glaze