Sweet Potato Casserole with Mini-Marshmallows and Pecans
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
2½ pound(s), scrubbed (about 5 medium)
¾ pound(s), halved lengthwise and sliced
1½ tsp, grated, peeled
¾ cup(s), coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Place potatoes on prepared baking sheet. Roast until fork-tender, about 1 hour. Cut potatoes in half; cool 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, place carrots in a large saucepan and add enough salted water to cover them by 2 inches; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer carrots until very tender, about 25 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Puree carrots, browned butter, and ginger in a food processor, scraping down sides of bowl with a spatula; transfer to a large bowl.
- Scoop flesh from potatoes into food processor; add milk and salt. Puree, scraping down sides of bowl with a spatula, until smooth; stir into carrot puree until blended.
- Spread sweet potato mixture in an even layer in prepared baking dish. Bake until hot, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows; bake until marshmallows are golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with pecans; serve.
- Serving size: 1/2 cup
- VARIATIONS For a modern riff on this old favorite, prepare the recipe as directed but instead of topping with marshmallows and pecans, try one the toppings below:
- SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PEPITA CRUMBLE Spray a small skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup pepitas, and 1 tsp ancho chile powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until oats are golden and pepitas are toasted, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and cool. Stir in 8 tsp brown sugar, 4 tsp olive oil, and 1/4 tsp salt. Sprinkle over casserole and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH ORANGE GREMOLATA Mix 2/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 2 minced small garlic cloves, and 1 tsp grated orange zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole just before serving.