Stuffing with Sage and Chives
Whole wheat bread
12 slice(s), or white bread, preferably day-old, cubed*
1 cup(s), diced
3 rib(s), medium, diced
¼ tsp, freshly ground
Canned chicken broth
2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 4-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes on a large ungreased baking sheet in a single layer (use 2 baking sheets if there’s not enough room). Bake until lightly toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove bread from oven and set aside; leave oven set to 350ºF.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter together for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and celery; sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add thyme, sage, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Cook until herbs are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add bread, broth and chives; toss to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, 15 minutes more.
- Yields about 1 cup per serving.