Steamed vegetable dumplings with two dipping sauces
Mung bean sprouts
4 medium, white and green parts
2 large, peeled and grated
1 medium clove(s), minced
1 piece(s), 1-inch, minced
Rice wine vinegar
½ tsp, toasted
- Mash tofu in a bowl. Chop bean sprouts and green parts of scallions and add to tofu. Add carrots, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- To stuff dumplings: Using a pastry brush and cool water, moisten the edges of a dumpling skin. Place a spoonful of the tofu mixture in center of skin and fold and seal edges closed. Repeat until all filling is used; set aside.
- To make Soy Dipping Sauce: Mince white parts of scallions and mix with 1/4 cup soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- To make Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce: Mix dry mustard, sugar and salt. Add water and 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil and blend well.
- Heat water in bottom of a steamer. If using a bamboo steamer, place dumplings directly in the steamer. If using a metal steamer, spray steamer with cooking spray so dumplings won't stick. Steam dumplings until they turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Serve with two dipping sauces. Yields 1 dumpling per serving with choice of sauce.