Steamed Vegetable Dumplings with Two Dipping Sauces
Mung bean sprouts
4 medium, white and green parts
2 large, peeled and grated
1 medium clove(s), minced
1 piece(s), 1-inch, minced
Rice wine vinegar
½ tsp, toasted
- In a large bowl, mash the tofu. Chop the bean sprouts and the green parts of scallions and add those to the tofu. Add the carrots, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- To stuff the dumplings: Using a pastry brush and cool water, moisten the edges of a dumpling skin. Place a spoonful of the tofu mixture in center of the skin and fold and seal the edges closed. Repeat until all the filling is used; set aside.
- To make the Soy Dipping Sauce: Mince the white parts of the scallions. Add them to a small bowl and mix with 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, and the sesame seeds.
- To make the Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, mix the dry mustard, sugar, and salt. Add water and 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil and blend well.
- Heat water in bottom of a steamer. If using a bamboo steamer, place the dumplings directly in the steamer. If using a metal steamer, spray steamer with cooking spray so the dumplings won't stick. Steam the dumplings until they turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Serve with two dipping sauces.
- Serving size: 1 dumpling with choice of sauce.