Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak and Portobello Salad
- Total Time
For an extra-flavorful salad, try searing the steak in a very hot, nonstick pan for 30 seconds on each side. This will create a crisp caramelized crust.
dried basil1 Tbsp
dried oregano1 Tbsp
lemon pepper2 tsp
uncooked lean flank steak1 pound(s)
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, sliced
olive oil2 tsp
sherry cooking wine2 Tbsp
fresh cherry tomato(es)1 cup(s), or grape tomatoes, about 8 average
portobello mushroom(s)10 small, approximately, quartered, (equivalent 1 1/2 cups)
romaine lettuce2 head(s), cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
uncooked scallion(s)½ cup(s), chopped
- Combine basil, oregano and lemon pepper seasoning in a shallow medium bowl or plate. Rub both sides of steak with garlic and oil; dredge in spice mixture until well-coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of sherry and cook steak about 5 minutes per side. Remove and transfer to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes before slicing crosswise against the grain into 8 very thin slices.
- While steak is resting, add remaining tablespoon of sherry to skillet. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté about 1 minute; set aside.
- Toss lettuce, scallions, mushrooms and tomatoes with vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Divide salad mixture between four plates. Top with steak. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of salad and 2 slices of steak per serving.