Linguine with tomato-meat sauce
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
8 oz, linguine
1 large, finely chopped
1 medium, finely chopped
3 medium clove(s), finely chopped
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
Canned crushed tomatoes
28 oz, in tomato puree
Red pepper flakes
¼ tsp, crushed
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1⁄2 cup of the cooking water before draining.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil on medium- high. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook until the onion is tender, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beef to the skillet and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, red pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat, stirring in the reserved pasta cooking water as needed to thin the sauce. Before serving, sprinkle with the cheese.
- Serving size: about 2⁄3 cup pasta, 2⁄3 cup sauce, and 1 tbsp cheese