Spaghetti with butternut squash, white beans, & kale
Uncooked butternut squash
8 cup(s), peeled, cubed
2 medium clove(s), smashed
4 tsp, divided
1¼ tsp, divided
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, thinly sliced
3 cup(s), lacinato, thick center stalk removed, thinly sliced
Canned white beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
Apple cider vinegar
¼ cup(s), toasted
Grated Pecorino cheese
4 leaf/leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss squash, garlic, 1 tbsp oil, and 1⁄4 tsp salt; spread in an even layer and roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 11⁄2 cups pasta cooking liquid. Set aside.
- Transfer garlic and 2 cups squash to a food processor; add 1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid and process until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tsp oil. Add onion; sauté until just softened, 3 minutes. Add kale; sauté until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add reserved spaghetti, beans, vinegar, pepper, remaining 1 tsp salt, remaining squash cubes, and squash purée; stir well to combine. For a looser sauce, add extra reserved pasta cooking liquid a little at a time for desired consistency. Cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide pasta among bowls. Top with walnuts, cheese, and sage.
- Serving size: 2 cups, including 1 tbsp walnuts and 1⁄2 tbsp cheese