Smoked sweet potatoes with scallion dressing
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
4 medium, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
6 medium, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove(s), minced
- Place woodchips in a large bowl, cover with water and place a heavy plate on top to keep them submerged; soak 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add potatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer until just tender when pierced with a paring knife, 5 minutes. Drain potatoes; set aside.
- Make sure your grill grates are super clean, then prepare your gas or charcoal grill for indirect heat. Drain woodchips and place in center of a large piece of aluminum foil; wrap them up to create a neat package (using a second layer of foil if needed). Using a paring knife or skewer, poke a dozen holes in top of packet and place packet over hottest part of grill (either directly on coals of a charcoal grill or on heating element below grate of a gas grill); cover grill until smoke appears, at least 15 minutes.
- Place potatoes on the not-too-hot side of grill; cover and cook, uncovering grill to turn potatoes a few times, until skin is crisp and slightly charred in spots, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine scallions, oil, vinegar, garlic and salt in a small bowl.
- Serve warm potato wedges drizzled with dressing.
- Serving size: 1/8 of wedges, 1 Tbsp dressing