Smoked Beef Tenderloin with Smoked Garlic Aioli
2 medium clove(s), minced
6 medium clove(s), whole (peeled)
1½ tsp, freshly ground, divided
1½ tsp, divided
Uncooked lean tenderloin beef
2 pound(s), patted dry with paper towels
Extra virgin olive oil
Reduced calorie mayonnaise
2 Tbsp, fresh, minced
1 pinch, (or to taste; optional)
- Place wood chips in a large bowl, cover with water and place a heavy plate on top to keep them submerged; soak 30 minutes.
- Mix together 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl; rub mixture evenly over beef and set aside.
- Place whole garlic cloves in center of a piece of aluminum foil; drizzle with oil and wrap cloves in foil. Set beef aside while you prepare your grill.
- Make sure your grill grates are super clean, then prepare your gas or charcoal grill for indirect heat. Drain wood chips and place in center of a large piece of aluminum foil; wrap them up to create a neat package (using a second layer of foil if needed). Using a paring knife or skewer, poke a dozen holes in top of packet and place packet over hottest part of grill (either directly on coals of a charcoal grill or on heating element below grate of a gas grill); cover grill until smoke appears, at least 15 minutes.
- Place beef and wrapped garlic on cooler side of grill. Cover grill and cook garlic until cloves are softened (check by unwrapping package), about 15 minutes; set garlic aside. Cook beef, uncovering grill to turn beef a few times, until it is just firm to the touch and registers at least 140ºF – 145ºF in center, about 35-45 minutes depending on thickness. Remove beef from grill and sprinkle with smoked salt (optional); let rest 5-10 minutes.
- While beef rests, unwrap smoked garlic; place in a food processor with mayonnaise, water, vinegar, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Process until pureed; transfer to a small bowl and stir in chives.
- Thinly slice beef against grain; serve warm or at room temperature with smoked garlic aioli.
- Serving size: 3 oz beef, 1 Tbsp aioli