Smoked Beef Tenderloin with Smoked Garlic Aioli
- Total Time
We upped the smoky flavor of this recipe with an optional sprinkle of smoked salt.
garlic clove(s)2 clove(s), medium, minced
garlic clove(s)6 clove(s), medium, whole (peeled)
black pepper1 ½ tsp, freshly ground, divided
kosher salt1 ½ tsp, divided
uncooked lean tenderloin beef2 pound(s), patted dry with paper towels
extra virgin olive oil1 tsp
reduced calorie mayonnaise6 Tbsp
red wine vinegar1 Tbsp
chives2 Tbsp, fresh, minced
smoked salt1 pinch, (or to taste; optional)
- Place wood chips in a large bowl, cover with water and place a heavy plate on top to keep them submerged; soak 30 minutes.
- Mix together 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl; rub mixture evenly over beef and set aside.
- Place whole garlic cloves in center of a piece of aluminum foil; drizzle with oil and wrap cloves in foil. Set beef aside while you prepare your grill.
- Make sure your grill grates are super clean, then prepare your gas or charcoal grill for indirect heat. Drain wood chips and place in center of a large piece of aluminum foil; wrap them up to create a neat package (using a second layer of foil if needed). Using a paring knife or skewer, poke a dozen holes in top of packet and place packet over hottest part of grill (either directly on coals of a charcoal grill or on heating element below grate of a gas grill); cover grill until smoke appears, at least 15 minutes.
- Place beef and wrapped garlic on cooler side of grill. Cover grill and cook garlic until cloves are softened (check by unwrapping package), about 15 minutes; set garlic aside. Cook beef, uncovering grill to turn beef a few times, until it is just firm to the touch and registers at least 140ºF – 145ºF in center, about 35-45 minutes depending on thickness. Remove beef from grill and sprinkle with smoked salt (optional); let rest 5-10 minutes.
- While beef rests, unwrap smoked garlic; place in a food processor with mayonnaise, water, vinegar, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Process until pureed; transfer to a small bowl and stir in chives.
- Thinly slice beef against grain; serve warm or at room temperature with smoked garlic aioli.
- Serving size: 3 oz beef, 1 Tbsp aioli