Broiled steak and onions with hash browned potatoes
Uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef
1 pound(s), steak, boneless, trimmed of all visible fat
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, cut crosswise into 4 slices
1 medium clove(s), minced
10 oz, scrubbed and shredded
- Spray broiler rack with nonstick spray; preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with the Cajun seasoning; place on broiler rack. Arrange onion slices around steak; spray onion lightly with nonstick spray. Broil steak and onion 5 inches from the heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of the steak registers 145°F for medium-rare, 5–6 minutes on each side and onion is lightly browned, 3–4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the potato and salt, stirring to incorporate the garlic then press down into a flat cake in the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes. With a nonstick spatula, cut the potato cake into fourths, then turn and cook, covered, until golden on the other side, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board, let stand 5 minutes; cut in half. Refrigerate half of steak for up to 3 days for later use.
- Cut the remaining steak, against the grain and on a diagonal, into 8–10 slices. Serve the steak with the onion slices and hash brown cakes. Yields 4–5 steak slices, 2 onion slices, and 2 hash brown cakes per serving.