- Total Time
This pizza calls for the crust to bake separately while the shellfish are steaming. Don’t skimp on the seafood; only the freshest will do.
uncooked clams with shell1 pound(s), littleneck, about 12 clams
uncooked shelled mussels1 pound(s), medium
pizza dough mix10 oz, 1 prebaked thin pizza crust
uncooked shrimp½ pound(s), medium, peeled and deveined
white wine½ cup(s), dry, or vegetable broth
fresh parsley¼ cup(s), flat-leaf, chopped
basil2 Tbsp, chopped
fresh thyme1 Tbsp, chopped
garlic clove(s)3 clove(s), medium, minced
crushed red pepper flakes¼ tsp
canned diced tomatoes14 oz, in juice, drained
- Scrub the clams and mussels well with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Pull off the hairy beards that may be attached to some of the mussel shells; if it’s difficult, use a small knife. Place the clams and mussels in a large pot of cold water; let them soak a few minutes to release any residual grit, then drain. Repeat for several changes of water until no sand falls to the bottom of the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Bake the pizza crust until crispy but still pale, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, but leave it on.
- Meanwhile, combine the clams, mussels, shrimp, wine or broth, parsley, basil, thyme, garlic, and pepper in a large saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until the clams and mussels open and the shrimp turn pink, 7–8 minutes (do not overcook). Discard any clams or mussels that don’t open. Transfer the clams and mussels to a large bowl with a slotted spoon; set them aside until they are cool enough to handle, then remove them from their shells. Reserve 1⁄4 cup of their cooking liquid, and a few shells, if desired, for garnish.
- Combine the tomatoes and the reserved cooking liquid in a medium nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the crust. Place a few mussels and clams in the reserved shells, if using, then distribute all the shellfish evenly over the tomato sauce. Return the pizza to the oven and bake until heated through and the crust is golden, 4–5 minutes. Serve at once. Yields 1/4 pizza per serving.