Sauteed String Beans with Almonds
- 1/2 cup(s) slivered almonds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 8 cup(s) uncooked green snap beans, fresh, trimmed, or thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Place almonds in a large dry skillet and place pan over medium heat. Cook until nuts are golden brown, shaking pan frequently, about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove nuts from pan; set aside.
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook , stirring, 1 minute. Add string beans and sauté 1 minute. Add broth to pan; cover and steam until string beans are crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper; stir to coat. Remove from heat; stir in toasted almonds. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
For variety, substitute pine nuts for almonds. Toast them just as you would the almonds. You may also use wax beans, snap peas or snow peas, if desired.