- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 oz uncooked turkey sausage(s), sweet Italian-variety, casings removed
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), yellow, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 Tbsp basil, leaves, fresh, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, leaves, fresh, minced
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 cup(s) white wine, dry, or dry vermouth
- 56 oz canned crushed tomatoes, reduced-sodium
- 4 cup(s) canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Crumble in sausage meat; stir over heat until it loses its raw, pink color and browns lightly, about 4 minutes.
Add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary and fennel seeds; stir over heat 30 seconds.
Pour in wine or vermouth. Raise heat to high and bring to a full simmer, scraping up any browned bits in pot’s interior. Boil until reduced to a thick glaze, about 3 minutes.
Pour in tomatoes and broth; stir in salt and pepper. Bring to a full simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer slowly, uncovered, until thickened and sauce-like, stirring often, about 2 hours. Yields 1 about cup per serving.