Roasted roots with carrot top pesto
8 oz, small, peeled and cut into wedges
1 pound(s), with green tops
1 pound(s), peeled and halved
1 medium, cut into wedges
¾ tsp, divided
Grated Parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the beets with 2 tsp water. Cover the bowl and microwave on High for 2½ minutes. Uncover and carefully drain off the water.
- Remove and reserve the green tops from the carrots. Peel the carrots and halve or quarter lengthwise. Combine the carrots, beets, turnips, and onion on the prepared pan. Coat the vegetables with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1⁄2 tsp salt and the black pepper. Roast the vegetables until tender, about 35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, pulse the garlic until finely chopped. Coarsely chop the carrot tops. Add 1 cup carrot tops, the cheese, pine nuts, and remaining 1⁄4 tsp salt to the processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the oil, vinegar, and 1 tbsp water and pulse until well combined. Serve the vegetables with the pesto.
- Serving size: 1 cup vegetables and 1 tbsp pesto