Roasted fennel and shallots with balsamic vinegar and Kalamata olives
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
2 medium, ends trimmed, stalks removed, fronds reserved
6 large, quartered
Extra virgin olive oil
⅛ tsp, freshly ground
Fresh orange juice
8 medium, Kalamata variety, pitted, sliced (about 1/4 c)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a medium rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or just coat pan with cooking spray.
- Cut each fennel bulb into 6 equal pieces; remove any tough outer leaves. Put fennel and shallots on prepared pan; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with fennel seeds, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer, fennel pieces should have a least one cut side facing down; arrange shallots around fennel.
- Roast 20 minute; remove from oven and flip fennel. Roast until tender and light golden in spots, 10-15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine orange zest, orange juice and vinegar in a small cup.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving platter; drizzle with orange juice mixture and then sprinkle with olives. Chop some reserved fennel fronds and sprinkle over top.
- Serving size: about ¾ c