Roasted eggplant caponata
1 large, trimmed
6 medium, halved lengthwise
1 medium, diced
3 rib(s), medium, stalks diced, leaves chopped
Canned tomato sauce
Golden seedless raisins
Canned or bottled pickled green olive(s)
12 olive(s), coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp, rinsed and drained
Red pepper flakes
Unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 tsp, optional
¼ tsp, optional
- Adjust oven racks to middle and bottom positions. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 1 large and 1 medium baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cut eggplant into 3/4-inch cubes and toss with 1 tablespoon oil and salt on large baking sheet; spread in even layer. Arrange tomatoes, cut-side down, on medium baking sheet
- Roast eggplant on middle rack and tomatoes on bottom rack. Roast eggplant, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned and tender; roast tomatoes until skins are wrinkled and flesh is soft, about 20 minutes. Cool; pull off tomato skins and discard.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and diced celery; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are just tender, about 8 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce, breaking up tomatoes with wooden spoon.
- Stir in raisins, olives, vinegar, capers, and pepper flakes until combined. Stir in cocoa and cinnamon, if using. Stir in eggplant; cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until flavors blend, about 8 minutes. Stir in celery leaves. If caponata is too thick, stir in water a tablespoon at a time until sauce coats vegetables. Serve warm, or cool and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serving size: about 1/2 cup