Roasted Asparagus with Red Peppers and Lemon
- 1 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, trimmed
- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with olive oil nonstick spray.
- Combine the asparagus and strips of bell pepper in a large bowl; spray with the nonstick spray. Add the lemon juice, oil, salt, and crushed red pepper; toss well to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until tender, shaking the pan occasionally, 15–18 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and toss with the lemon zest. Yields (about 3 asparagus spears and 1/4 cup bell-pepper strips per serving.
Peak season for asparagus is March through June. Select spears that are fresh and firm with compact tips. They should be straight and round and should snap easily when bent. Contrary to popular belief, spears with larger diameters are just as tender as slender spears.