Roast chicken and vegetables Provençal
- Total Time
In this one-pan recipe, you roast an herbed whole chicken with a garden of vegetables— plus some Kalamata olives thrown in to put the flavor over the top. Pull out your largest baking sheet for this one.
garlic clove(s)4 medium clove(s)
rosemary1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
fresh thyme1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
fresh tarragon1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
olive oil1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
raw skinless boneless light and dark meat1 ¾ pound(s), 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
lemon(s)1 medium, quatered
uncooked red potato(es)1 pound(s), whole, small
uncooked red onion(s)2 medium, each cut into 6 wedges
plum tomato(es)3 medium, halved
uncooked zucchini1 medium, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch chunks
yellow summer squash1 medium, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch chunks
olive(s)10 medium, kalamata, pitted and chopped
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, chopped
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- 2 Stir together 1 garlic clove, the rosemary, thyme, tarragon, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in small bowl.
- 3 With your fingers, loosen skin on chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub garlic mixture evenly on meat under skin; press skin back into place. Place lemon in cavity of chicken, then tuck wings under chicken and tie legs with kitchen string. Place chicken in pan, breast side up.
- 4 Combine potatoes, onions, tomatoes, oregano, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Spray vegetables lightly with olive oil nonstick spray. Arrange vegetables around chicken. Roast, stirring vegetables occasionally, about 45 minutes. Add zucchini, squash, olives, and remaining 3 garlic cloves, to vegetables in pan and toss well. Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F and vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes longer.
- 5 Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes. Remove skin, then carve. Stir parsley into vegetables; serve chicken with vegetables.
- Serving size: 1/6 of chicken and vegetables