Red velvet meringue sandwich cookies
SmartPoints® value per serving
1 hr 35 min
Here's a twist on your favorite classic red velvet cupcake: red velvet sandwich cookies. They're delicious, festive-looking, and fun, and you can make them 2 days ahead of time for even more added convenience if you want to serve them at the end of a dinner party. The filling is simple and quick, and is made with just powdered sugar, cream cheese, and a touch of vanilla extract. The meringue batter features coarsely ground pecans, cocoa powder, egg whites, and of course, red food coloring. Also keep in mind that you'll need a large pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch plain tip to pipe the batter onto the baking sheets.
½ cup(s), softened
Unsalted pecan halves
Unsweetened cocoa powder
3 large, at room temperature
1 tsp, red variety
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To make filling, stir together ¼ cup of confectioners’ sugar, the cream cheese, and vanilla in small bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Pulse pecans in food processor until coarsely ground. Add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and the cocoa; process until nuts are finely ground.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beat in food coloring just until mixed well. With rubber spatula, gently fold in pecan mixture in three additions just until combined.
- Transfer meringue batter to large pastry bag fitted with ½-inch plain tip. Pipe 1½-inch mounds, 1 inch apart, onto prepared baking sheets, making total of 36 cookies. Gently tap baking sheets 3 or 4 times against work surface to remove air bubbles.
- Bake until cookies are crisp, about 30 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking time. Slide parchment onto wire racks and let meringues cool 10 minutes. Gently peel meringues off parchment and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on ﬂat side of 18 cookies. Top with remaining 18 cookies, ﬂat side down, pressing gently to form sandwiches. Cookies can be stacked between layers of wax paper in airtight container and refrigerated up to 2 days.
- Per serving: 1 cookie