Red Velvet Meringue Sandwich Cookies
- Total Time
confectioners' sugar1 ¾ cup(s)
Neufchâtel cheese½ cup(s), softened
vanilla extract¼ tsp
unsalted pecan halves½ cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder3 Tbsp
egg white(s)3 large, at room temperature
table salt¼ tsp
food coloring1 tsp, red variety
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To make filling, stir together ¼ cup of confectioners’ sugar, the cream cheese, and vanilla in small bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Pulse pecans in food processor until coarsely ground. Add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and the cocoa; process until nuts are finely ground.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and salt in medium bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beat in food coloring just until mixed well. With rubber spatula, gently fold in pecan mixture in three additions just until combined.
- Transfer meringue batter to large pastry bag fitted with ½-inch plain tip. Pipe 1½-inch mounds, 1 inch apart, onto prepared baking sheets, making total of 36 cookies. Gently tap baking sheets 3 or 4 times against work surface to remove air bubbles.
- Bake until cookies are crisp, about 30 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking time. Slide parchment onto wire racks and let meringues cool 10 minutes. Gently peel meringues off parchment and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on ﬂat side of 18 cookies. Top with remaining 18 cookies, ﬂat side down, pressing gently to form sandwiches. Cookies can be stacked between layers of wax paper in airtight container and refrigerated up to 2 days.
- Per serving: 1 cookie