1 cup(s), chopped
1 medium, seeded and minced
2 medium clove(s), minced
2 large, chopped
Canned tomato paste
Uncooked white rice
1 cup(s), long grain
2 cup(s), or chicken broth
¼ cup(s), chopped
¼ cup(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2 Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- 3 Add broth and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4 Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, about 5 minutes. Add cilantro and stir with fork to fluff rice. Top with scallions.
- Serving size: (generous 1/2 cup)