- Total Time
Fresh tomatoes and chili powder give this rice its red color, but it’s not too spicy. If you want to amp it up, add some cayenne when you stir in the tomatoes.
canola oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 cup(s), chopped
jalapeño pepper(s)1 medium, seeded and minced
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
chili powder2 tsp
ground cumin1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
plum tomato(es)2 large, chopped
canned tomato paste2 tsp
uncooked white rice1 cup(s), long grain
fat free vegetable broth2 cup(s), or chicken broth
cilantro¼ cup(s), chopped
uncooked scallion(s)¼ cup(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2 Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- 3 Add broth and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4 Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, about 5 minutes. Add cilantro and stir with fork to fluff rice. Top with scallions.
- Serving size: (generous 1/2 cup)