- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 small uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked quinoa, rinsed (unless pre-rinsed purchased)*
- 1/2 cup(s) raisins, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1/3 cup(s) salted dry-roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped, or more to taste
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add quinoa; toast for 1 minute.
- Stir in raisins, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Pour in broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa bursts its skin, is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Set quinoa aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove cover and fluff quinoa mixture with a fork. Repeat several times as quinoa becomes lighter as it cools. Just before serving, sprinkle with pistachios and cilantro. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
*To rinse quinoa, place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve. Place under cold running water until the water runs clear; drain well.