- Total Time
A Passover recipe that’ll add wonderful variety to your typical starchy side dishes. Try it with chopped dates and pecans, too.
vegetable oil1 tsp
uncooked shallot(s)2 small, minced
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, minced
uncooked quinoa1 ½ cup(s), rinsed (unless pre-rinsed purchased)*
raisins½ cup(s), chopped
ground cinnamon½ tsp
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
canned chicken broth3 cup(s)
salted dry-roasted pistachio nuts⅓ cup(s), coarsely chopped
cilantro2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped, or more to taste
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add quinoa; toast for 1 minute.
- Stir in raisins, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Pour in broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa bursts its skin, is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Set quinoa aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove cover and fluff quinoa mixture with a fork. Repeat several times as quinoa becomes lighter as it cools. Just before serving, sprinkle with pistachios and cilantro. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.