The trick to making this filled omelette taste great is to make sure the peppers and onion are well cooked, this releases their natural sugars.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), one green, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), red, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 10 item(s) egg white(s), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green and red bell peppers, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 8 minutes. Slowly pour in 5 of the egg whites; sprinkle with the cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until slightly firm, 3–5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Preheat the broiler.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the remaining 5 egg whites and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until soft peaks form, 3–4 minutes. Spoon over the vegetable mixture to cover completely. Broil 7 inches from the heat until puffed and just golden.
- When separating the eggs for this omelette, keep 5 of them in a small bowl and the remaining 5, which will be beaten separately, in large bowl.