Pot Roast with Potatoes and Green Olives
- Total Time
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked red onion(s)1 small, chopped
red wine4 fl oz, dry (1/2 cup)
white all-purpose flour2 Tbsp
canned chicken broth1 cup(s)
orange juice½ cup(s)
table salt¾ tsp
ground cumin½ tsp
uncooked potato(es)1 pound(s), small, yellow variety, scrubbed and halved or quartered
uncooked trimmed bottom round steak1 ½ pound(s), lean boneless roast
pimiento stuffed olives2 ⅝ oz, ( 1/3 cup), halved
cilantro¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together wine and flour in small bowl until smooth. Add to onion and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in broth, orange juice, salt, paprika, and cumin. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking often, 2 minutes.
- Put potatoes in 5-or 6-quart slow cooker. Place beef on top of potatoes and add broth mixture. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 4–5 hours on High or 8–9 hours on Low.
- Transfer beef to cutting board. Cut into 6 pieces.
- Stir olives into slow cooker. Divide beef, potatoes, and sauce evenly among 6 plates; sprinkle with cilantro.
- Per serving: 1 piece beef with about 1 cup potatoes and sauce