Portobello mushrooms and barley over mesclun
Packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
1 Tbsp, finely chopped
⅛ tsp, freshly ground
12 oz, stems discarded, caps wiped clean
Uncooked pearl barley
½ cup(s), quick-cooking
¼ cup(s), chopped
Fresh mixed greens
6 oz, or 4 cups of mesclun
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line the broiler pan with heavy-duty foil.
- To make the dressing, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan; boil until it is reduced to 3 tablespoons, 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the oil, shallot, salt, and pepper.
- Scrape away the black “gills” from the underside of the mushroom caps with the tip of a small spoon; discard. Place the mushrooms, rounded-side up, in the broiler pan. Brush the tops of the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Bake 15 minutes. Cover the mushrooms with a foil tent and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the barley according to package directions, adding the carrot during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- Slice the mushrooms and toss with the barley and 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a bowl. Toss the mesclun with the remaining 1–2 tablespoons dressing and divide between 2 plates. Spoon the mushroom mixture on top of the salad and serve. Yields 2 1/3 cups barley mixture and 11/2 cups salad per serving.