Poached Eggs in Tomato-Jalapeño Sauce
1 medium, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
Sweet red pepper(s)
1 medium, chopped
1 medium, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium clove(s), finely chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
Canned tomato paste
Crushed red pepper flakes
4 large egg(s)
¼ cup(s), chopped
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- With back of spoon, make 4 indentations in sauce. Break 1 egg into each indentation. Cover and simmer just until set, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates. Top evenly with eggs and sauce.
- Serving size: 1 tortilla, 1 egg, and about 1/2 cup sauce