Poached eggs in tomato- jalapeño sauce
- Total Time
If you’ve had shakshuka, the Middle Eastern dish of eggs cooked in a tomato- vegetable sauce, this recipe will look familiar. Serve it for a hearty brunch or even for dinner along with warmed corn tortillas. For an additional 1 SmartPoints value per serving, sprinkle on 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco.
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
sweet red pepper(s)1 medium, chopped
jalapeño pepper(s)1 medium, seeded and thinly sliced
garlic clove(s)1 medium clove(s), finely chopped
ground cumin1 tsp
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz
canned tomato paste½ tsp
kosher salt½ tsp
crushed red pepper flakes¼ tsp
cilantro¼ cup(s), chopped
corn tortilla(s)4 item(s)
- 1 Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 2 Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 3 With back of spoon, make 4 indentations in sauce. Break 1 egg into each indentation. Cover and simmer just until set, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 4 Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates. Top evenly with eggs and sauce.
- Serving size: (1 tortilla, 1 egg, and about 1/2 cup sauce)