- 10 medium uncooked potato(es), red (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk, warmed
- 3 Tbsp, grated parmesan cheese, strong-flavored, grated
- 1/4 cup(s) chives, chopped
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with an inch of water; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
Mash potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.
- Add the bold flavor of wild mushrooms to these mashed potatoes by soaking 1/4 cup of dried shiitake, porcini or black trumpet mushooms in boiling hot water for 10 minutes. Drain well, chop and stir in with the cheese.