- 3 pound(s) plum tomato(es), (about 18) cut in quarters lengthwise
- 1 large uncooked vidalia onion(s), halved lengthwise, then sliced crosswise
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Adjust the racks to divide the oven into thirds. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray 2 large nonstick baking pans with olive oil nonstick spray.
Arrange the tomatoes and onion in single layers on the pans. Sprinkle with the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, then spray lightly with the nonstick spray. Roast, switching the pans from one shelf to the other halfway through the cooking time, until the tomatoes and onion are lightly browned and have an intense, sweet aroma, 50–55 minutes.
Transfer the tomatoes and onion to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is combined but still somewhat chunky. Yields 1/2 cup per serving.
- Try this flavorful sauce over whole-wheat fusilli (will increase the SmartPoints value).