Nut and fruit chews
SmartPoints® value per serving
Almonds, dried apricots, raisins, rice cereal, and chocolate chips are the ultimate flavor combination to actually get you excited for your midday snack. Toss a few of these into your bag for a 3 p.m. pick-me up. Or enjoy them for a protein- and fiber-rich breakfast instead of packaged granola bars. This recipe makes enough for forty 1/2-inch "bites," so you'll have plenty on hand to take with you throughout the week. Easy to make and better for you than the store-bought stuff—you'll want a pan of these hanging out in the fridge at all times.
2 cup(s), sliced, blanched, roughly chopped
Dried apricot halves
½ cup(s), roughly chopped
¼ cup(s), golden-variety
Puffed rice cereal
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 oz, melted
- In a food process fitted with a steel blade, add the almonds, vanilla and honey. Process the almond mixture until almost smooth, and then add the apricots. Continue processing until the mixture has become a paste.
- Transfer the almond mixture to a work bowl, and stir in the raisins and puffed rice.
- Spread the almond mixture onto half a piece of wax paper or parchment paper that is 12-inches by 18-inches. Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the almond mixture.
- Using the edge of the paper, roll the almond mixture in a cylindrical shape making sure it is tightly packed together. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
- Slice the log into forty 1/2-inch pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Coat your knife with cooking spray before chopping the apricots to prevent them from sticking to the blade.