Nut and Fruit Chews
- Total Time
Toss a few of these into your bag for a midday pick-me up. Or enjoy them for a protein- and fiber-rich breakfast instead of packaged granola bars.
almonds2 cup(s), blanched, roughly chopped
vanilla extract1 Tbsp
dried apricot halves½ cup(s), roughly chopped
raisins¼ cup(s), golden-variety
puffed rice cereal1 cup(s)
semi-sweet chocolate chips2 oz, melted
- In a food process fitted with a steel blade, add the almonds, vanilla and honey. Process the almond mixture until almost smooth, and then add the apricots. Continue processing until the mixture has become a paste.
- Transfer the almond mixture to a work bowl, and stir in the raisins and puffed rice.
- Spread the almond mixture onto half a piece of wax paper or parchment paper that is 12-inches by 18-inches. Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the almond mixture.
- Using the edge of the paper, roll the almond mixture in a cylindrical shape making sure it is tightly packed together. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
- Slice the log into forty 1/2-inch pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.