Fat free vegetable broth
5 cup(s), mushroom-flavor recommended
½ Tbsp, divided
1 small, minced
1 pound(s), shredded or thinly sliced (also known as baby bellas)
Uncooked arborio rice
Grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
½ tsp, or to taste
¼ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
½ cup(s), fresh, minced
- Place broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter, and cook until melted.
- Add onion; cook, stirring, until onion begins to caramelize, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release moisture, about 5 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; reduce liquid by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
- Add remaining teaspoon of butter to same pan; cook until melted. Add rice; stir to coat with butter. Pour about 1/2 cup warm broth into rice; stir to keep grains from sticking to sides of pan. Keep stirring until all of broth is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup warm broth and repeat process. Keep adding broth and stirring in this manner until all of broth is used and rice is just cooked but not mushy (should still be slightly chewy), about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in parsley. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.