- Total Time
Creamy risotto is so satisfying. Turn leftovers into delicious rice cakes using our tips below.
fat free vegetable broth5 cup(s), mushroom-flavor recommended
cooking spray1 spray(s)
unsalted butter½ Tbsp, divided
uncooked onion(s)1 small, minced
Cremini mushrooms1 pound(s), shredded or thinly sliced (also known as baby bellas)
white wine⅓ cup(s)
uncooked arborio rice1 ½ cup(s)
grated Parmesan cheese½ cup(s), Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
table salt½ tsp, or to taste
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
fresh parsley½ cup(s), fresh, minced
- Place broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add1 teaspoon butter and cook until melted.
- Add onion; cook, stirring, until onion begins to caramelize, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release moisture, about 5 minutes. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; reduce liquid by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
- Add remaining teaspoon of butter to same pan; cook until melted. Add rice; stir to coat with butter. Pour about 1/2 cup warm broth into rice; stir to keep grains from sticking to sides of pan. Keep stirring until all of broth is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup warm broth and repeat process. Keep adding broth and stirring in this manner until all of broth is used and rice is just cooked but not mushy (should still be slightly chewy), about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in parsley. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.