Moroccan Chickpea-Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Total Time
Here’s a super side dish for roasted poultry, beef, pork or lamb.
cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked acorn squash3 medium
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped (1 ½ cups)
minced garlic2 tsp
ground cumin¾ tsp, divided
table salt½ tsp, divided
ground cinnamon⅛ tsp, cinnamon
chickpeas15 oz, rinsed and drained
raisins¼ cup(s), chopped
cilantro¼ cup(s), chopped
fresh lemon juice2 tsp
sliced almonds2 Tbsp, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray;
- Slice squash in half, stem to bottom; scoop out seeds. Place squash on prepared pan, cut sides-down; bake until tender, 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while squash is baking, heat oil in a large nonstick over medium-high heat; add onions and cook, stirring frequently until onions are nice and golden, 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp salt and cinnamon; cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in chickpeas, water and raisins; cook, stirring, until hot and raisins are soft, 2 minutes.
- When squash is tender, remove from oven; flip squash over. Sprinkle hot squash with remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and cumin.
- Stir cilantro and lemon juice into chickpea mixture; divide evenly between squash halves. Sprinkle each half with 1 tsp almonds; serve while hot.
- Serving size: 1 filled squash half