- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 3 medium uncooked acorn squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, cinnamon
- 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray;
Slice squash in half, stem to bottom; scoop out seeds. Place squash on prepared pan, cut sides-down; bake until tender, 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, while squash is baking, heat oil in a large nonstick over medium-high heat; add onions and cook, stirring frequently until onions are nice and golden, 8 minutes.
Stir in garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp salt and cinnamon; cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in chickpeas, water and raisins; cook, stirring, until hot and raisins are soft, 2 minutes.
When squash is tender, remove from oven; flip squash over. Sprinkle hot squash with remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and cumin.
Stir cilantro and lemon juice into chickpea mixture; divide evenly between squash halves. Sprinkle each half with 1 tsp almonds; serve while hot.
Serving size: 1 filled squash half
- Chopped fresh mint can be used in addition to, or instead of, cilantro. Garnish with fresh lemon zest, if desired.