Lighter Lemon Bars
14 Tbsp, divided
15 Tbsp, divided
⅝ tsp, divided
4 tsp, divided
2 Tbsp, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 tsp, cold
3 large egg(s), separated
Fresh lemon juice
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
2 cup(s), (1 pint)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- To make the crust, in a large mixing bowl stir together 3/4 c flour, 3 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp lemon zest. Drizzle with the butter and water; press the dough with a fork until small clumps form and the mixture is moist. Press crust into the bottom of the prepared pan; bake until the crust begins to brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven; let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the topping. In a large mixing bowl, mix the egg yolks, 3/4 c sugar, 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp flour, baking powder, and 1/8 tsp salt.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture until combined; pour over the crust and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve garnished with powdered sugar and raspberries.
- Serving size: 1 bar