- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted with green chilies, undrained
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, (1 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced
In a medium bowl, combine allspice, cayenne, ginger, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Add turkey and toss to coat; set aside for 15 minutes.
Place turkey in a 5-quart slow cooker; add any spices remaining in bowl. Add garlic, onion, tomatoes, beans, broth, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; stir. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 7 hours. Stir in lime juice and cilantro; let sit for 5 minutes for flavors to blend. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- Scotch bonnet, one of the hottest chiles available, is often used in jerk dishes. If you're up to the flavor challenge, try adding one to this dish but make sure to substitute plain, diced tomatoes for the ones with chilies.