Individual Shakshouka Baked Eggs
- Total Time
Adding a touch of feta to the tomato sauce gives this dish just the right touch of salty, creaminess.
cooking spray6 spray(s)
olive oil2 tsp, divided
uncooked shallot(s)2 medium, finely diced
sweet red pepper(s)½ large, diced
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), large, minced
serrano chile(s)½ average, seeded, finely chopped
canned tomato paste1 Tbsp
ground cumin½ tsp
ground cinnamon¼ tsp
kosher salt⅛ tsp
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz, petite-variety
fresh oregano1 Tbsp, leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
crumbled feta cheese½ cup(s)
- Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-hole standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium; sauté, 3 minutes. Add garlic and serrano; sauté, 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon and salt; stir to combine. Add diced tomatoes; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is just thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in oregano; remove from heat. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce into each hole; sprinkle 2 teaspoon feta into each hole.
- Crack an egg, one at a time, into a small ramekin or cup; gently slide an egg into each muffin hole. Bake until whites are just set, 15 minutes.
- To serve, use a large soup spoon to scoop eggs out of muffin pan and place on individual plates or a serving platter. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and chopped oregano, if desired.
- Serving size: 1 baked egg and 1/4 c sauce