- 6 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium uncooked shallot(s), finely diced
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 1 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 average serrano chile(s), seeded, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, petite-variety
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 12 large egg(s)
Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-hole standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
Heat 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium; sauté, 3 minutes. Add garlic and serrano; sauté, 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon and salt; stir to combine. Add diced tomatoes; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is just thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in oregano; remove from heat. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce into each hole; sprinkle 2 teaspoon feta into each hole.
Crack an egg, one at a time, into a small ramekin or cup; gently slide an egg into each muffin hole. Bake until whites are just set, 15 minutes.
To serve, use a large soup spoon to scoop eggs out of muffin pan and place on individual plates or a serving platter. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and chopped oregano, if desired.
Serving size: 1 baked egg and 1/4 c sauce