Savory grilled mushrooms are piled high with the usual burger fixings and a very tasty basil-mayo sauce.
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
- 3 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 medium portobello mushroom(s), caps, equivalent to 1 pound
- 4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 4 roll(s) Arnold, Brownberry, Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), about 4 pieces
- 4 slice(s), thick uncooked red onion(s)
- 4 piece(s) lettuce
Heat grill or grill pan.
In a small bowl, combine basil, mayonnaise and vinegar; set aside.
Lightly coat both sides of mushroom caps with cooking spray; season with salt and pepper.
Grill mushrooms over medium-high heat, until just soft to the touch, about 6 minutes per side.
To serve, split rolls and toast on grill. Spread a heaping teaspoon of basil mixture on top and bottom halves of rolls. Layer each bottom half with a mushroom, pepper, lettuce leaf and onion slice; top with remaining half of roll and serve. Yields 1 burger per serving.