Grilled pears with cherry-almond sauce
SmartPoints® value per serving
Here’s a sophisticated ending to almost any meal, and is a particularly perfect ending to a grilled supper. Any type of pear will work for this recipe, but make sure that they are firm and not overly ripe. Grilled pears also make an excellent side dish. The sauce, made with frozen cherries, can be enjoyed year round. This is also delicious with vanilla extract instead of almond extract. Cinnamon, cherries, honey, and almonds make a nice flavor combination with the pears.Sour cherries are tart and thin-skinned, and they work well in pies, jams and cocktails.
2 medium, ripe but firm, halved, cored
Unsweetened frozen sour red cherries
1 cup(s), coarsely chopped
4 tsp, toasted
- Off heat, coat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan with cooking spray; heat to medium heat.
- Sprinkle cut sides of pears with cinnamon; coat with cooking spray.
- Grill pears over medium heat, cut sides-down first, turning once, until lightly charred and softened, about 12 minutes.
- While pears are grilling, to make sauce, place cherries and honey in small microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl and microwave on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once, until cherries are soft and mixture is warm and juicy; stir in almond extract.
- To serve, spoon cherry sauce over pears; sprinkle with almonds.
- Serving size: 1 pear half, 2 Tbsp sauce and 1 tsp almonds.