Grilled fennel with balsamic vinegar and thyme
uncooked fennel bulb(s)
1½ pound(s), about 1 large bulb
¼ fl oz
1½ Tbsp, extra virgin
⅛ tsp, freshly ground
1½ tsp, chopped
½ tsp, optional
- Trim stalk from fennel bulb; slice bulb lengthwise into six 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick pieces (do not cut too thin or the fennel could fall apart).
- In a large bowl, stir together orange juice, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until blended. Add fennel and toss to coat; let sit at least 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove fennel from marinade and place on grill; reserve marinade in a small serving bowl. Grill fennel until lightly charred and tender, turning occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Put fennel in bowl with reserved marinade; add thyme and orange zest (if using) and toss. Yields 1 slice fennel per serving.