Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots and Gremolata
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked green snap beans, fresh, trimmed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 medium uncooked shallot(s), peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat a large pot of water to a simmer. Place green beans in a steamer and steam over simmering water until tender, about 5 minutes. Run steamed green beans under cold running water for 30 seconds to stop cooking; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add shallots and cook, stirring often (and adding a little water to prevent sticking if necessary), until golden and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make gremolata, combine parsley, lemon zest and garlic in a small bowl.
- Add green beans to skillet; toss over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper; toss to mix and coat.
- Place green beans in a serving bowl or platter and sprinkle with gremolata. Yields about 3/4 cup of green beans and 1 teaspoon of gremolata per serving.
You can steam the green beans 1 day ahead and store them in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator.