- 1/4 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice, or other medium-grain rice
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), gently smashed and peeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano, crushed with fingertips, divided
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp dill, fresh, chopped, divided
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided (or to taste)
- 3 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast, butterflied and flattened to 1/2-inch thickness
Cook rice in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, on a cutting board, mound garlic with 1/4 tsp salt. Using blade and flat side of chef’s knife, chop and scrape mixture into a paste; set aside.
In a large wide pot with lid, heat oil over medium. Add spinach, carrot, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp water. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately stir in garlic mixture, 1 tsp oregano and coriander, then spread on a large plate and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, drain rice, then spread on a large plate and let cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
Using hands, squeeze dry spinach mixture in small handfuls, then transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop. In a bowl, mix together spinach, cooled rice, feta, 2 Tbsp dill, zest, egg, 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper.
Lay turkey breast flat and season with 1/2 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Spread spinach filling on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting at 1 long side, roll up turkey jelly-roll style. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan or skillet, combine butter, bay leaves, remaining 1 Tbsp dill and remaining 1 tsp oregano, and generous pinch pepper. Heat over medium-low, until butter is melted; remove from heat.
Set roulade in a baking dish. Brush wish butter mixture, then season with 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Tuck bay leaves under twine. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165ºF, 40-45 minutes.
Remove roulade from oven. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise into 16 pieces.
Serving size: 2 slices
- If your turkey does not stay rolled, tie roll crosswise with kitchen twine every 2 inches to hold shape. Tie roll once lengthwise to secure ends. Remove and discard strings after cooking.