Greek-style turkey breast roulade with spinach and dill
Uncooked arborio rice
¼ cup(s), or other medium-grain rice
1½ tsp, or to taste
1 medium clove(s), gently smashed and peeled
Fresh baby spinach
1 medium, finely chopped
2 tsp, crushed with fingertips, divided
Crumbled feta cheese
3 Tbsp, fresh, chopped, divided
1 Tbsp, freshly grated
1 large egg(s), beaten
¼ tsp, freshly ground, divided (or to taste)
Uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast
2 pound(s), butterflied and flattened to 1/2-inch thickness
- Cook rice in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, on a cutting board, mound garlic with 1/4 tsp salt. Using blade and flat side of chef’s knife, chop and scrape mixture into a paste; set aside.
- In a large wide pot with lid, heat oil over medium. Add spinach, carrot, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp water. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately stir in garlic mixture, 1 tsp oregano and coriander, then spread on a large plate and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, drain rice, then spread on a large plate and let cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Using hands, squeeze dry spinach mixture in small handfuls, then transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop. In a bowl, mix together spinach, cooled rice, feta, 2 Tbsp dill, zest, egg, 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper.
- Lay turkey breast flat and season with 1/2 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Spread spinach filling on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting at 1 long side, roll up turkey jelly-roll style. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan or skillet, combine butter, bay leaves, remaining 1 Tbsp dill and remaining 1 tsp oregano, and generous pinch pepper. Heat over medium-low, until butter is melted; remove from heat.
- Set roulade in a baking dish. Brush wish butter mixture, then season with 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Tuck bay leaves under twine. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165ºF, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove roulade from oven. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise into 16 pieces.
- Serving size: 2 slices