This rice salad makes a wonderful picnic or barbecue side dish. Or turn it into a main course by adding some cooked chicken or shrimp.*
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long grain-variety
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup(s) mint leaves, fresh, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 large fresh tomato(es), diced
- 1 cup(s) cucumber(s), diced
- 1/3 cup(s), chopped uncooked red onion(s), or diced
- 10 gm olive(s), Kalamata, sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in rice and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat, uncover and let cool, tossing occasionally.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons of water, mint, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until blended.
Add cooled rice, tomato, cucumber, onion and olives to bowl; toss to mix and coat. Add feta cheese; toss. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.