'Fried' onion rings
Olive oil cooking spray
2 large, Spanish, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and separated into rings
1% low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, dry mustard and salt. Add onions and toss to coat.
- Pour buttermilk into another large bowl, add onions and toss to coat (use your hands for the best result).
- Place bread crumbs in another large bowl, add onions and toss to coat. Transfer onions to prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve hot. Yields about 1/2 an onion per serving.
- Flavor Booster: Give onion rings more crunch and fiber by using homemade multi-grain bread crumbs. Place 2 slices of toasted multi-grain bread in a food processor or blender and mince using on/off pulses.