Fettuccine with zucchini, garlic and lemon
10 medium clove(s), peeled and finely chopped
Crushed red pepper flakes
1½ tsp, (plus more for garnish – optional)
5 small, julienned
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
6 Tbsp, finely grated, divided
Fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp, (or to taste)
Fresh mint leaves
4 sprig(s), leaves only, torn
¼ tsp, freshly cracked (or to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; season generously with salt. Place pasta in water; cook until al dente, about 7–8 minutes (2–3 minutes if using fresh pasta).
- As pasta cooks, warm oil in a large sauté pan over low heat. Add garlic; cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Use tongs to transfer pasta to sauté pan. Add 1 cup pasta water and zucchini. Toss over low heat for about 3–5 minutes, until fettuccine has absorbed sauce and zucchini has softened slightly. Add 1/4 c cheese; toss once more. If needed, add more pasta water to loosen pasta. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if desired.
- To serve, evenly divide pasta among six bowls. Top each portion with 1 Tbsp bread crumbs, 1 tsp cheese, 1/6 of mint, pinch cracked black pepper and extra red pepper flakes (optional).
- Serving size: about 1 1/3 c