- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 4 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 3 pound(s) plum tomato(es), (about 18) plum tomatoes, chopped, or 2 (28-ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, (optional)
Heat the oil in a large nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, ground pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using); bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 25 minutes. Yields 1/2 cup per serving.
- This flavorful concoction beats jarred sauces (which are often laden with salt and sugar). Oregano is the herb of choice here, but you can substitute an equal amount of fresh or dried basil. Refrigerate the sauce for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.