Egg baked in avocado with pickled onion & fresh tomato salsa
Uncooked red onion(s)
¼ cup(s), chopped, minced
Fresh lime juice
8 Tbsp, but you'll need to start with 1 ripe but firm medium-size avocado
¼ tsp, plus extra to season avocado (optional)
1 pinch(es), freshly ground, to season avocado (optional)
2 medium egg(s)
1 medium, seeded and diced
2 Tbsp, minced
1 Tbsp, chopped
- Toss together onion and lime juice in a small bowl; let sit 15 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a small baking dish with aluminum foil. Halve and pit avocado; cut a very thin slice off bottom of each half so they sit flat. Scoop out 3 Tbsp flesh from each half (use for another recipe), creating an indentation for the egg (you’ll have about 4 Tbsp avocado flesh remaining in each half ); season avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper (optional). Crack an egg into each avocado half, slowly pouring whites so they don’t spill over.
- Bake until whites are set and yolk is done to your liking, 15-20 minutes.
- While eggs are baking, combine pickled onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Top each avocado half with salsa and serve.
- Serving size: 1 filled avocado half