Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Mushrooms
8 oz, mixed (such as oyster, shiitake, and maitake), chopped
1¾ tsp, divided
2 cup(s), chopped, (from about 2 medium)
2 clove(s), finely chopped (about 1½ tsp)
Freshly grated nutmeg
⅛ tsp, plus more for garnish
Fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 sprig(s), large
8 cup(s), fresh or frozen, florets
Grated Parmesan cheese
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the mushrooms, oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp black pepper and arrange in a single layer on the prepared pan. Roast the mushrooms, stirring once halfway through cooking, until crisped, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low. Add the onion and ½ tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ⅛ tsp nutmeg, cayenne, and flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the broth, thyme, bay leaf, and cauliflower.
- Increase heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is completely softened and falling apart, about 25 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprig.
- Using an immersion blender or standard blender, purée the soup. Add the remaining 1 tsp salt, the cheese, and yogurt and blend to combine. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Top with the remaining ¼ tsp black pepper and the crispy mushrooms. Garnish with more nutmeg and chopped parsley (if using).
- Serving size: 1½ cups