Continental Onion Soup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sherry (dry or sweet)
- 6 cup(s) canned fat-free beef broth
- 1/8 tsp table salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 6 slice(s) French bread, cut 1/2 inch thick and toasted
- 1/3 oz Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- In a large nonstick pot, heat oil and very slowly sauté onions over medium-high heat until they are golden, about 40 minutes. Stir occassionally to make sure onions don`t stick to pan.
- Add flour and mix to combine. Slowly pour in sherry and broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste.