SmartPoints® value per serving
4 hr 45 min
Espresso, instant powder
2 large egg(s)
2 Tbsp, sliced or slivered, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and the water in small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, without stirring, brushing down side of saucepan with brush dipped in cool water during first few minutes of cooking time, until syrup turns amber. Cook, swirling saucepan occasionally, until caramel is dark amber. Immediately pour caramel into 4 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups; gently swirl ramekins to coat bottoms and halfway up sides of ramekins. Refrigerate until caramel is hard, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine half-and-half and espresso powder in medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbles form. Whisk eggs, 2 tablespoon sugar, the almond extract, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Remove saucepan from heat; whisk hot half-and-half mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour through sieve set over bowl.
- Divide custard among ramekins. Put ramekins in 9-inch square baking pan. Place pan in oven; add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake until flans are just set around edges and jiggle in center, 35–40 minutes. Transfer ramekins to wire rack and let cool 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- To serve, run thin knife around edges of flans to loosen from ramekins. Unmold onto plates; spoon any sauce over flans. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Per serving: 1 flan and 1/2 tablespoon almonds