- 12 oz uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/8 tsp table salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 4 fl oz light beer
- 1/2 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) canned fat-free beef broth
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 large uncooked carrot(s), sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Preheat oven to 200ºF (100ºC). Season beef and dredge in 1 1/2 teaspoons of the flour seasoned with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in oven-proof skillet and brown beef over high heat, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove meat from pan.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan and sauté until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden. Stir in remaining flour and cook until it just begins to color, about 1 minute.
Pour in beer, tomatoes and 1 cup beef broth; add bay leaf , thyme and carrots. Return beef to pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in oven. Cook until meat is tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Check on stew occasionally. Add remaining 1/2 cup beef broth if liquid is running low.
Ten minutes before serving, add peas to stew. Cover and let stand. Season to taste and sprinkle in parsley, then serve in 1-cup servings.