- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup(s) pureed winter squash
- 2 large egg(s)
- 2/3 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup(s) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans, toasted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt.
In a large bowl, combine squash puree, eggs, applesauce, sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed, until well combined, 3 to 5 minutes.
Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined; pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth into an even layer; sprinkle with pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool; remove from pan and slice into 16 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- You can use any variety of winter squash here (acorn, butternut, delicata, hubbard, etc.) cooked any way you like (steamed, microwaved, roasted, etc.) Or keep frozen, precooked winter squash handy to make this recipe anytime!Winter squash works just like pumpkin in baked goods. Use it in cheesecakes, muffins or loaf cakes. Its slightly sweet flavor and rich color are a natural fit with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.