Chocolate–Peanut Butter Squares
Plain microwave popped popcorn
Ready to eat crisp rice cereal
Ready-to-eat fortified wholegrain cereal
2 cup(s), circle oats variety
⅓ cup(s), chopped
Unsweetened baking chocolate square(s)
1 oz, chopped
Store-bought marshmallow creme (aka fluff)
Smooth reduced fat peanut butter
¼ cup(s), creamy or chunky varieties
Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil, allowing the foil to extend over the rim of the pan by 2 inches. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Combine the popcorn, rice cereal, oat cereal, and peanuts in a very large bowl.
- Put the butter and chocolate in a large nonstick skillet and set over low heat. Cook, stirring, until melted, 1 – 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat; add the marshmallow crème, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Return the skillet to the heat and cook, stirring, until well blended and hot, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Scrape the marshmallow mixture on top of the cereal mixture. With a rubber spatula, stir vigorously until the cereal mixture is evenly coated. Scrape into the baking pan. Spray your hands with nonstick spray; press down firmly on the mixture to form an even layer; let cool completely. Lift from the pan using the foil as handles. With a serrated knife lightly sprayed with nonstick spray, cut into 24 squares.
- Yields 1 square per serving.